Become a member. Get a cool shirt. And maybe win $500.
From now until November 2, 2019, every new member is entered into a weekly drawing for $500 cash! Oh, and you get a pretty cool t-shirt so you can tell everyone you know that you #ownyourbank.
Already a GCEFCU member, but still want to enter to win? No problem. Click here to refer a new member and get $25, plus an entry into the weekly $500 drawing.
Does your bank share their profits?
We do. Since 2014, we have paid out over $9.9 million to our loyal member-owners in the form of loyalty bonuses. When you do business with us, we share our profits with you. The Loyalty Bonus is our way of saying thank you for helping us grow and sharing in the success of the credit union.
Unlike banks, when you become a member you are technically a part owner of the credit union. We don’t use your money to pay stockholders or big bonuses to a board of directors (ours are all volunteers). We invest your money back into you.
We aren’t like a regular bank. We’re a credit union!
Gulf Coast Educators FCU is made up of educators and school employees, that is why all of our products and services revolve around you and your needs. As a school district employee, you and your immediate family members are eligible for membership.
Who Can Join
Three Ways To Become A Member
1. School District Employee
Employees who work regularly in the Educational Industry in the counties of Brazoria, Chambers, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Liberty, Montgomery or Waller Counties, Texas, meaning they work for:
- an elementary school, secondary school, or post-secondary school; click for list of districts
- a county superintendent of schools office;
- an authorized education foundation; or
- a school board, either as employees or trustees.
Those who have retired as pensioners or annuitants from above employment are also eligible.
2. GCEFCU Employee
Employees of Gulf Coast Educators Federal Credit Union are eligible for membership.
3. Family Members
Immediate families or households that fall within the chart below are eligible for membership, as well as spouses of those who have died while whithin the field of membership of this credit union.
Eligible School Districts
Barbers Hill ISD
Clear Creek ISD
Deer Park ISD
Fort Bend ISD
Galena Park ISD
Goose Creek CISD
High Island ISD
La Porte ISD
How To Join
Becoming a GCEFCU Member
Becoming a member of Gulf Coast Educators FCU is easy! In fact, you can even open your account right here online.
- Pictured drivers license or state identification card
- Your name as it appears on your Social Security Card
- Proof of employment (one of the following)
- Pay Stub
- Letter from your Personnel Office
Step 2: Switch direct deposits and automatic deposits with our Switch Kit, or by contacting your employer for the corresponding forms.
Step 3: Change automatic payments and withdrawals using the Change Automatic Withdrawal form.
Step 4: Close all other savings, checking & bill payment accounts using the Close Account form.
For additional details or help switching your accounts to Gulf Coast Educators Federal Credit Union just ask us! We’ll be glad to help. Please visit any branch office or call 281.487.9333 or 1.800.683.3863.
What We Offer
See What GCEFCU Has To Offer
Gulf Coast Educators Federal Credit Union offers a wide range of innovative services that will enable you do to your banking any time, anywhere. At GCEFCU, you are more than just an account number. You are a member-owner that shares in the credit union’s success.
SAVINGS & INVESTMENTS
- Primary Savings
- Sandy Saver Kids’ Club (12 and under)
- Term Share Accounts (CDs)
- Jumbo Term Share Accounts (CDs over $100,000)
- Premium Deposit Accounts (PDA)
- College Saver Certificate
- Money Market Account
- Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Individual Retirement Account (IRA)
- Christmas Club Account
- My Savings Goal Account
- Dollar Up Savings Account
- Auto Loans (New & Refinanced)
- Credit Cards
- Personal Loans
- Credit Saver Loan
- Boat Loan
- Motorcycle Loan
- RV/Travel Trailer Loan
- Classroom Supplies Loan
- Relocation Loan
- Professional Development Loan
- First Year Teacher Loan
- Teacher Mortgage
REAL ESTATE LOANS
Being a member of Gulf Coast Educators has its perks. Not only will you have an affordable & convenient place to do your banking, but you will also have access to all of the great benefits listed below.
There is never a charge to use a Gulf Coast Educators VISA® debit card at one of our ATMs. Other financial institution ATMs charge fees (surcharges) to use their ATMs. To avoid these charges, we’ve partnered with Allpoint Nationwide Network. With Allpoint you have access to your funds wh “no surcharge fees” at tens of thousands of ATMs nationwide.
Your time is worth money and we know it. That’s why we offer you the convenience of doing business with your credit union through direct deposit. The best part is that our members with direct deposit report receiving their deposits at least a day before their coworkers who have accounts elsewhere*.
We offer our members discount tickets for several amusement and theme parks in our area. To purchase tickets, you may contact the credit union for your verified member password (NOT your online banking password), and then purchase them online.
If you have a project or lesson plan you’d like to implement in your classroom, but don’t have the funds to do so, we are here to help. Every January and July we accept hundreds of applications for our $100 Classroom Mini Grants. Must be a GCEFCU member to apply.
Gulf Coast Educators offers thousands of dollars in scholarships to graduating high school seniors every year. Must be a GCEFCU member to apply.
Our Money Talks blog features articles about saving, credit, fraud, and resources for educators. Check out our tips and tricks on all things financial and educational.
What is the Loyalty Bonus?
Basically, it’s profit sharing. The Loyalty Bonus is our way of saying thank you for helping us grow and sharing in the success of the credit union.
Gulf Coast Educators is a not for profit cooperative made up of educators helping educators. Here, your money isn’t being used to pay thousands of shareholders, or to pay big bonuses to a board of directors (ours are all volunteer). We invest your money back into you, which is why your loyalty matters.
When you do small things, like using your debit card or having direct deposit set up, you are helping your credit union grow. As we grow, we are able to provide more innovative technology, open more branches, and ultimately, serve you better. And when we do really well, we are able to pay out a loyalty bonus.
To date, the credit union has paid out over $9.9 million to our loyal member-owners in the form of loyalty bonuses since 2014. This year, 24,796 of our members received a loyalty bonus.
How can you help?
If you’re happy with your credit union and you know it, tell a friend. As a loyal member-owner of the credit union you can help by taking advantage of all the credit union has to offer (refer to your owner’s manual) and encouraging others who qualify to become member-owners of the credit union to get involved.
All we ask is that you share the good news with your family, friends and coworkers who are eligible to become member-owners of the credit union so that we can continue the success of our financial cooperative. Share how happy you are about being a member-owner of your credit union and how rewarding it can be.
* Debit Card Power User is defined as a an individual that used their debit card more than an average GCEFCU member.
** Active means that within a 30 day time frame from the end date used to calculate the bonus, the checking account had a direct deposit and/or a Visa Debit transaction.
Rules & Qualifications
Own Your Bank Official Rules & Qualifications
1. Eligibility: All Gulf Coast Educators FCU Members in good standing are eligible. No purchase or obligation necessary to enter or to receive any prize. Entrants must be legal U.S. residents and 18 years of age or older at time of entry in the sweepstakes. Prize is non-transferable. Sweepstakes is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited by law.
2. PROMOTIONAL PERIOD: The Sweepstakes dates are September 1 – November 2, 2019.
3. TWO WAYS TO ENTER: 1: During the promotion period, eligible members who open their GCEFCU membership, or who referred a new membership that has at least $25 deposited, will be entered into a drawing to win $500 the following week after they open their membership. 2: To enter the sweepstakes without opening a GCEFCU membership, clearly print your name, address, telephone number and the words “Own Your Bank” Sweepstakes on a 3″ x 5″ card and mail the card to: Own Your Bank Sweepstakes, Gulf Coast Educators Federal Credit Union, 5953 Fairmont Parkway, Pasadena, Texas 77505. Entries must be mailed in order to be received by sponsor on or before the last day of each week in the sweepstakes deadline for the prize drawing. Sponsor is not responsible for misdirected, damaged, illegible, postage-due or incomplete entries not received by the deadline. Members may mail as many entry cards as they wish. MEMBERS WHO ARE ENTERED AUTOMATICALLY BY OPENING A GCEFCU MEMBERSHIP OR REFERRING A NEW GCEFCU MEMBERSHIP AS DESCRIBED ABOVE AND MEMBERS WHO ENTER BY MAIL SHALL HAVE THE SAME ODDS OF WINNING.
4. GENERAL CONDITIONS: By participating, you agree to be fully and unconditionally bound by these Official Rules & Qualifications, and you represent and warrant that you meet the eligibility requirements set forth herein. Decisions made by Sponsor are final. By entering the sweepstakes, you agree to be bound by the decisions of Sponsor and these Official Rules & Qualifications. You and your entries may be disqualified if you attempt to circumvent the Official Rules & Qualifications. The sweepstakes is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws. Winners who are of legal age, by entering the sweepstakes, agree to grant the Sponsor the right to print, publish, broadcast and use, in any media including, but not limited to, the World Wide Web, at any time or times, their names and pictures for Sponsor’s advertising and promotional purposes without additional consideration. Further, by accepting a sweepstakes prize, winners agree to release Sponsor from any and all liability arising from acceptance, possession, use loss or misuse of the prize.
5. DRAWING: Eligible entries automatically generated and those received by the deadline by mail will be eligible for a chance to win a $500 cash prize to be given at the end of each week during the promotion period. The weekly prize drawings will be held on the following dates at the Sponsor’s main office at 5953 Fairmont Parkway, Pasadena, Texas by 4:00 pm CST: September 9, 16, 23, 30, October 7, 15, 21, 28, and November 4, 2019.
6. ODDS OF WINNING & TAX LIABILITY: Odds of winning depend on the total number of new memberships, referred memberships, and entries received by mail by 5:00 pm CST on the sweepstakes deadlines. Need not be present to win. Prize winner is responsible for any and all applicable federal and state income taxes associated with the awarding of the prizes. Sponsor is required to file a 1099-MISC tax form in the name of the winners of the weekly drawings for the value of the prize. The cash value of the weekly drawings must be included on the federal tax return of the winner as taxable income. Please consult your tax advisor.
7. GRAND PRIZE DESCRIPTION: Winners will receive a $500 in a cash deposit into their account.
8. WINNER NOTIFICATION: Winners of the weekly drawings will be notified by telephone and/or e-mail and will be required to complete, sign and return a Sponsor-supplied Affidavit of Eligibility/Liability Release/Publicity Release form within 14 days of being informed they are the winner. Failure to do so will result in forfeiture of the prize and a new winner will be selected by random drawing from all eligible entries. Sponsor shall have no liability for the winner’s failure to receive notices due to winners’ spam, junk e-mail or other security setting or for winners’ provision of incorrect or otherwise non-functioning contact information. If the selected winner cannot be contacted, is found to be ineligible, fails to claim the weekly drawing within 14 days from the time an award notification was sent to winner, or fails to timely return a completed and executed declaration and releases as required, prize may be forfeited and an alternate winner selected.
9. PUBLICITY: Each winner agrees to permit Sponsor to utilize his/her name and likeness in promotional and other Sponsor materials, without additional compensation or permission, except where prohibited by law.
10. LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY: Sponsor is not responsible for any injury, loss or damage or any other liability of any kind resulting from use of a prize won from Sponsor in this sweepstakes.
The promotion and drawing are governed by these Official Rules & Qualifications and the laws of the State of Texas. Any dispute regarding the sweepstakes shall be resolved only in a state or federal court location in or near Pasadena, Texas.
11. WINNER’S NAME: For the name of the weekly winners, send a stamped, self-addressed envelope to: Own Your Bank Sweepstakes, Gulf Coast Educators Federal Credit Union, 5953 Fairmont Parkway, Pasadena, Texas 77505. Requests for the list of winner’s names must be received by November 4, 2019.