Joining the Credit Union
Your credit union membership is represented by your Share Account. You may become a member by simply completing an application form, paying the $5.00 membership fee, and depositing a minimum balance of $5.00 in a Share Account. In keeping with our policy of “Once a Member, Always a Member”, as long as you maintain this minimum balance you remain a member, even if you leave our field of membership. If you have determined you’re eligible and wish to join, click here for enrollment instructions. If you do not qualify for membership at Gulf Coast Educators Federal Credit Union, please click here for tips on finding a credit union. For individuals without a membership, click here to start the online account opening process.
Field of Membership
- employees who work regularly in the Educational Industry in the counties of Harris, Galveston, or Brazoria, Texas, meaning they work for:
- an elementary school, secondary school, or post-secondary school;
- a county superintendent of schools office;
- an authorized education foundation; or
- a school board, either as employees or trustees.
- click for list of districts
- members of record of this credit union as of July 20,. 2006, the effective date of its conversion to a TIP charter;
- employees of this credit union;
- persons retired as pensioners or annuitants from the above employment;
- spouses of persons who died while within the field of membership of this credit union;
- members of their immediate families or households as highlighted below; and
- organizations of such persons.
Eligible School Districts
Clear Creek ISD
Deer Park ISD
Galena Park ISD
Goose Creek ISD
High Island ISD
La Marque ISD
La Porte ISD
North Forest ISD
Santa Fe ISD
Spring Branch ISD
Texas City ISD
We Make Switching To Gulf Coast Educators As Easy As 1-2-3-4!
Our Switch Kit includes everything you need to help you make a smooth transition to Gulf Coast Educators Federal Credit Union. All the letters and forms you will need to make this transition as easy as possible are provided here. All you have to do is print and mail the letters to the appropriate companies and/or individuals. In just four easy steps, you can be on your way to enjoying all the benefits of Gulf Coast Educators Federal Credit Union membership:
- Competitive rates on loans to save you money
- Above market rates on savings to make you money
- Free online banking and bill pay for convenient access to your money
- Free checking with free debit card to save you money
- And more ways to help you get more money, time & peace of mind.
Make the switch to Gulf Coast Educators today!
Step 1: Open your account with Gulf Coast Educators Federal Credit Union at any one of our 3 branch locations. You will need to bring:
- Pictured drivers license or state identification card
- Your name as it appears on your Social Security Card
- Proof of employment (one of the following)
- Pay Stub
- Letter from your Personnel Office
Your credit union membership is represented by your Share Account. You may become a member by simply completing an application form (signature card), paying the $5.00 membership fee, and depositing the minimum balance of $5.00 in a Share Account. In keeping with our policy of ?Once a Member, Always a Member,? as long as you maintain this minimum balance you remain a member, even if you leave our field of membership.
Once you have a Gulf Coast Educators account number.
Step 2: Switch direct deposits and automatic deposits using the Switch Direct Deposit form.
Step 3: Change automatic payments and withdrawals using the Change Automatic Withdrawal form.
Step 4: Close all other savings, checking & bill payment accounts using the Close Account form.
For additional detail or help switching your accounts to Gulf Coast Educators Federal Credit Union just ask us! We’ll be glad to help. Please visit any branch office or call 281.487.9333 or 1.800.683.3863
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT PROCEDURES FOR OPENING A NEW ACCOUNT
To help the government fight the funding of terrorism and money laundering activities, Federal law requires all financial institutions to obtain, verify, and record all information that identifies each person who opens an account.
What this means for you: When you open an account, we will ask for your name, address, date of birth, and other information that will allow us to identify you. We may also ask to see your driver’s license or other identifying documents.
Finding a Credit Union
If you do not qualify for membership at Gulf Coast Educators Federal Credit Union, we have included information that may be helpful to you in finding a credit union that you are eligible to join.
How to Join A Credit Union
Credit unions are for everyone, but the law places some limits on the people they may serve. A credit union’s charter defines its “field of membership,” which could be an employer, church, school, or community. Anyone working for an employer that sponsors a credit union, for example, is eligible to join that credit union.
Chances are good, however, that you are eligible to be a credit union member. If you don’t belong to a credit union yet, here’s how to find one to join:
- Ask your boss. Your company may sponsor a credit union, or may be a select employee group (SEG) that has access to a credit union. Many employers offer direct deposit of payroll to your credit union.
- Poll your family. Does you spouse’s employer sponsor a credit union? Most credit unions allow credit union members’ families to join. Each credit union, however, may define by geography rather than by employment or some other association. Ask friends in the community if they know of a credit union you may join.
- Quiz the neighbors. Some credit unions have a “community” field of membership, serving a region defined by geography rather than by employment or some other association. Ask friends in the community if they know of a credit union you may join.
- Read the yellow pages. Some credit unions rarely advertise, so you might not know about them unless you look them up. A yellow pages display ad may state a credit union’s field of membership. If not, at least you’ll know what number to call to ask about membership eligibility.
The Teachers’ Credit Union for school district employees in Harris, Galveston & Brazoria County