What does this mean?
If you overdraw your checking account, GCEFCU will automatically approve any bill payments, checks, or ACH transactions up to $250 for regular checking accounts, and up to $750 for advantage checking accounts. This will help you avoid any declined bill payments or return check fees. To have your ATM and everyday debit card transactions covered as well, you will need to opt in by submitting the form below.
Remember – For every overdraft occurrence, you are charged an Overdraft/NSF Fee. View fee amounts and full details below.
To have your ATM and everyday debit card transactions covered by Courtesy Pay, please opt in by completing the form below.
The Fine Print
What You Need to Know about Overdrafts and Overdraft Fees
An overdraft occurs when you do not have enough money in your account to cover a transaction, but we pay it anyway. We can cover your overdrafts in two different ways:
- We have standard overdraft protection practices called Courtesy Pay that come with your account.
- We offer overdraft protection plans, such as a link to a savings account or additional credit union accounts. These plans are less expensive than our “Courtesy Pay” program. To learn more, contact our Member Services Department.
What are the standard overdraft practices (Courtesy Pay) that come with my account?
We DO authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions:
- Checks and other transactions made using your checking account number
- Automatic bill payments
We DO NOT authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions unless you ask us to (see below):
- ATM transactions
- Everyday debit card transactions
We pay overdrafts at our discretion, which means we do not guarantee that we will always authorize and pay any type of transaction.
If we do not authorize and pay an overdraft, your transaction will be declined.
What fees will I be charged if Gulf Coast Educators Federal Credit Union pays my overdraft?
Under our Standard overdraft practices (Courtesy Pay Program): We will charge you a fee based on the number of occurrences you have in your account within a 12 month period as follows:
Available Balance = Current Balance – pending withdrawals/debits
- Your available balance is the balance in your account after deducting debit card or other transactions that are on hold/pending and that GCEFCU is legally obligated to pay as well as any other holds on your account and any deposits that are not yet available for withdrawal under the Funds Availability Act.
- Your available balance is the amount of funds in your account that you can withdraw or access. GCEFCU uses the available balance when deciding to pay items that may overdraw your account. (The available balance can be negative if you overdraw your account).
There is a limit of $300 per day on the total fees we can charge you for overdrawing your account.
What if I want Gulf Coast Educators FCU to authorize and pay overdrafts on my ATM and everyday debit card transactions?
If you want us to authorize and pay overdrafts on ATM and everyday debit card transactions, you may opt in by visiting www.gcefcu.org, logging into your online banking account and completing the OPT-IN FORM or by calling us at 281.487-9333 or toll free at 1.800.683.3863. You can revoke your authorization for Gulf Coast Educators FCU to pay these overdrafts at any time by any of the above methods. Your revocation must include both your name and your account number so that we can properly identify your account.