Student Checking (Ages 13-17)
Financial Independence Starts Here
Our Student Checking Account is just for members 13 – 17 years old. It gives your teen the chance to gain financial independence and learn all about how to spend and save money the smart way. With their own debit card and access to online banking, they can experience how budgeting works and become a financially savvy adult.
Open a Student Checking Account with these smart features:
- Members ages 13 – 17 can open a Student Checking Account with their parent or guardian listed as a joint owner.
- They will receive their own debit card that they can use in stores, online, or anywhere else that displays the VISA logo.
- It’s free – There are no hidden fees or charges you need to worry about.
- Having a Student Checking Account makes your teen eligible to apply for a GCEFCU scholarship.
- Online Banking – They can keep track of their saving and spending online from their computer or phone.
- When they turn 18, they are eligible to apply for a GCEFCU credit card so that they can start building their credit early.
- Teens can follow us on social media by liking our Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram page.
Easy access to your teen’s account
With you listed as a joint owner, you have easy access to your teen’s account so that you can monitor their spending. You can also easily transfer money into their account using online banking from your mobile phone or computer.
Sandy Savers (Ages 0-12)
This is a fun savings club just for kids 12 years of age and under. As club members, kids become inspired to save by being rewarded with cool prizes. Then money saving becomes a skill for their future – like when they’re saving for that first “mussel” car or “sand castle.”
Youth Savings Accounts
- Kids up to 12 years of age qualify to open a Sandy Savers Club Account – a real savings account just like grown-ups have.
- They will receive a Sandy Saver stamp card, and will get a stamp each time they make a deposit of $10 or more. Once their card is filled up, they’ll be able to pick a cool prize from our treasure chest.
- You can open an account for your child or grandchild online or in person, as long as you are already a GCEFCU member.
- Sandy Saver members are invited to the credit union during special holidays to take free pictures with the Easter Bunny and Santa.
- Once your child is a GCEFCU member, they are eligible for one of GCEFCU’s scholarships.
- Youth savings accounts can be opened online by clicking the button below.
- And lots more!
Join Sandy’s Crustacean Nation of Savers Today!
Ready to dive in? All you need is the child’s social security number and $10 to open the club account. Our youth savings accounts are opened jointly with a parent, grandparent or legal guardian, and require the join owner’s signature. It’s just a simple legal claws.
College Saver Certificate (Ages 0-17)
College Saver Certificate
A College Saver Certificate is a great way to start saving for your child’s future. We understand that it’s not easy to start saving for college and sometimes it’s hard to take that first step. So we are here to help!
Here‘s how it works:
- College Saver Certificates can be opened online by filling out the form below.
- $25 minimum required opening deposit.
- $250 minimum balance to earn dividends.
- Unlimited number of deposits in amounts greater than $50.
- Term Share renews automatically every 12-months until the member reaches 18 years of age.
- Must have a parent/legal guardian joint owner.
Open A College Saver Certificate
Use the form below to open a College Saver Certificate for your child. If your child does not currently have an existing savings account with the credit union, one will be opened.
Terms & Conditions
Youth Savings Accounts: Must be opened by a parent or legal guardian. Parent or guardian must be listed as a joint owner on the account.
Student Checking Account:Must be between ages 13 – 17 to qualify for a Student Checking Account. Parent or guardian must be listed as a joint owner on the account. Velocity limits: $250 cash, $500 debit, $500 credit. Once the member turns 18 they may request that their account be changed to a regular checking account with regular velocity limits. In order to apply for a GCEFCU credit card once the member turns 18, they must submit a credit card application and meet minimum credit check standards and/or have a parental co-signer.
College Saver Certificate: When your 12-month College Saver Term Share Certificate matures after your 18th birthday, the certificate will convert to a regular 12-month Term Share Certificate, or if the balance is less than $1,000, the balance will be deposited to a Share Account. The new account will be subject to all terms and conditions of the applicable Share or regular Term Share Accounts. Deposits to the 12-month College Saver Term Share Certificate can be made at any time in the amount of $50 or more. Deposits will not affect the maturity date and dividend rate. Penalty for early withdrawal may be imposed. Child must be a primary account holder to open a College Saver Term Share.